POLICE chiefs in Southampton have vowed to stamp out a wave of attacks on buses that have swept through the city.
It comes as First Hampshire warned yesterday that it could withdraw services in parts of Southampton if vandals keep on targeting its vehicles.
In the past fortnight there have been four attacks on First Hampshire buses in Southampton which have seen windows shattered as the buses were ambushed by stone throwing yobs.
Now police say they are doing all they can to stamp out the attacks and find those responsible.
Police are mapping out where the incidents are happening, scouring through CCTV that was taken on the buses, and talking to the communities in the neighbourhoods where the attacks took place to identify the culprits.
They say that they could introduce more Acceptable Behavioural Contracts to any offenders and could bring in other measures such as making anyone responsible for the attacks pay for the damage caused – which is more than £300 for each broken glass pane.
In the last attack two buses had their windows smashed as they were driving near St Monica Road in Sholing on Monday at 9.45pm.
Previous attacks saw children as young as seven ambush bus services in Redbridge Hill, while an old man was showered with glass when a bus was attacked in Shirley last week.
Leading the investigation into the attacks is Superintendent James Fulton, he said: “We believe the events in Sholing are copy-cat and not the same people involved as in Millbrook.
Supt Fulton said that the police are looking at the long-term impact of the attacks – should they continue.
He said “The risk is that the bus operators could stop putting buses into certain communities that need the use of public transport.
“It has been very fortunate that no one has been injured but there is a real risk that someone could be hurt.”
He appealed for people who have seen anyone attack a bus or act suspiciously near buses to call the police on 101.