Hampshire County Council warn of massive savings over two years

Cuts are revealed just days after council staff strike

Cuts are revealed just days after council staff strike

First published in News Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Senior Reporter

JOBS and public services in Hampshire face a fresh round of cuts as county bosses try to fill a £98m black hole.

The bombshell news emerged in county council documents published yesterday – the day after the biggest public sector strikes in decades.

It also comes after Southampton City Council revealed that it was shedding as many as 200 jobs in the next year alone to save £30.8m, threatening disability services and even a care home.

The huge savings at the county council need to be made over a two-year period between 2016 and 2018, with bosses blaming rocketing child and adult social care costs.

The new cuts come on top of £250m that has already been saved over the past five years following ever shrinking central Government funding to councils.

Where the axe will fall has not been revealed, but departments are being warned that it could mean reducing budgets by an unprecedented 14 per cent.

Unions say that as well as threatening hundreds of council jobs, there is a risk to public services.

Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire.

“This will affect our members but it is affecting service users as well.

“We need to stand up to say enough is enough, otherwise the services we use will be gone forever.

“This council needs to talk to its fellow colleagues in Government, its fellow Conservatives, and say we can’t keep going on with these cuts.”

County council leader Councillor Roy Perry, below, said: “I well understand the Government’s need to bring public expenditure back under control, but with further grant reductions to come and no let-up in demand for care services – that are becoming more expensive to provide – decisions around future spend are becoming increasingly difficult.

“We will continue to make further efficiencies and maximise return on every pound spent – while at the same time, finding furt h e r opportunities to create new and sustainable ways of providing quality public services to the residents of Hampshire.

“Having been at the Local Government Association conference in Bournemouth this week, I have heard from other council leaders who face similar problems and recognise that Hampshire is one of the most successful councils in addressing the financial situation.”

But an official report published yesterday admitted: “This is clearly a very challenging prospect given the value of savings that have already been taken out of the system.”

As well as making cuts, the council hopes that a new digital strategy will transform and modernise services.

There are even plans to generate income by providing services for other councils.

If the plans go ahead, large parts of Oxfordshire County Council’s finance and human resources departments will be transferred to a business centre run by Hampshire County Council – which has been tight-lipped about the worth of this contract.

Comments (32)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:27pm Sat 12 Jul 14

mickey01 says...

Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live mickey01
  • Score: -10

6:32pm Sat 12 Jul 14

steekeemcglue says...

smaller public sector is what is needed anyway... too many busy people do not care about lazy strikers... this country has been plagued for decades by Union puppet masters... the smaller the public sector the better....
smaller public sector is what is needed anyway... too many busy people do not care about lazy strikers... this country has been plagued for decades by Union puppet masters... the smaller the public sector the better.... steekeemcglue
  • Score: -9

6:49pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Kirsty666 says...

This country can't cope with anymore cuts to the public sector the only way to get the economy down is for women not to have anymore children for 5-10 years it'll never happen obviously however something needs to be done. The NHS is bursting at the seems same as the police fire fighters and schools there's not enough of anything anymore and it will eventually be a case of work until your dying day.
This country can't cope with anymore cuts to the public sector the only way to get the economy down is for women not to have anymore children for 5-10 years it'll never happen obviously however something needs to be done. The NHS is bursting at the seems same as the police fire fighters and schools there's not enough of anything anymore and it will eventually be a case of work until your dying day. Kirsty666
  • Score: 10

6:55pm Sat 12 Jul 14

topoftheleague says...

We need to get rid of the reds the people that go on strike and support the union puppet masters who are on big salaries but do nothing but destroy this country we need to make it illegal to belong to a union
We need to get rid of the reds the people that go on strike and support the union puppet masters who are on big salaries but do nothing but destroy this country we need to make it illegal to belong to a union topoftheleague
  • Score: -11

7:01pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Duncan Smith says...

Roll on the 2015 General Election when the Conservative led coalition wil be booted out.
Roll on the 2015 General Election when the Conservative led coalition wil be booted out. Duncan Smith
  • Score: 10

7:31pm Sat 12 Jul 14

allstar says...

Duncan Smith wrote:
Roll on the 2015 General Election when the Conservative led coalition wil be booted out.
It has nothing to do what ever government is in power.
I have a close relation who works as a manager for the council and believe me his salary for what he does is outrageous .
He was only boasting the other night about all the free events such as going to London staying at top hotels and of course lots of free drinks all at the tax payers expense .
He and his kind really make me sick and it them that should be sacked and leave the frontline services and critical people alone.
But we all know it will never happen because the managers have their snouts in the trough and it will be the real people without a voice who will suffer.
[quote][p][bold]Duncan Smith[/bold] wrote: Roll on the 2015 General Election when the Conservative led coalition wil be booted out.[/p][/quote]It has nothing to do what ever government is in power. I have a close relation who works as a manager for the council and believe me his salary for what he does is outrageous . He was only boasting the other night about all the free events such as going to London staying at top hotels and of course lots of free drinks all at the tax payers expense . He and his kind really make me sick and it them that should be sacked and leave the frontline services and critical people alone. But we all know it will never happen because the managers have their snouts in the trough and it will be the real people without a voice who will suffer. allstar
  • Score: 10

8:36pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Lone Ranger. says...

Remember this when the cuts are filtered down to SCC .......
Remember this when the cuts are filtered down to SCC ....... Lone Ranger.
  • Score: 6

8:51pm Sat 12 Jul 14

Hamitus Prime says...

Its nothing new just info that has been given to all council staff. Carrying on the econimizing. When will my colleague at HCC realise that their lot is much better than many in the private sector and the money pot is not bottomless. Cue the "the MP's give themselves payrises and what about bankers bonuses brigade" truth is two wrongs don't make a right.
Its nothing new just info that has been given to all council staff. Carrying on the econimizing. When will my colleague at HCC realise that their lot is much better than many in the private sector and the money pot is not bottomless. Cue the "the MP's give themselves payrises and what about bankers bonuses brigade" truth is two wrongs don't make a right. Hamitus Prime
  • Score: -6

9:20pm Sat 12 Jul 14

OSPREYSAINT says...

Instead of trying to win votes they should be charging a realistic Council Tax to cover the costs of providing the services that we require and need.
Instead of trying to win votes they should be charging a realistic Council Tax to cover the costs of providing the services that we require and need. OSPREYSAINT
  • Score: 7

8:09am Sun 13 Jul 14

oldage says...

Get rid of the staff at Woolston council offices .I go t here to pay my council tax and there so rude .Terriable customer service .
In Europe they have the benefit claiments cleaning the streets ,or they dont get there payment .Just an idea !
Get rid of the staff at Woolston council offices .I go t here to pay my council tax and there so rude .Terriable customer service . In Europe they have the benefit claiments cleaning the streets ,or they dont get there payment .Just an idea ! oldage
  • Score: 0

8:17am Sun 13 Jul 14

skeptik says...

A thousand and one jobs carried out daily by low paid, unseen and unsung public sector workers. To those saying get rid, fine. the private sector will have to do them - some seem to think the private sector exists in isolation from the public sector - not true one cannot exist without the other. Confession time - I was one of those who believed in privatization and in a few cases it has had a measure of success - mostly it has cost the taxpayer a fortune - the free market - really? how much of that free market survives on good old socialist principles with the state supporting profits by default. Take away the subsidies and see what happens - maybe it will kill off inefficiency that we pay for in the private sector and encourage real competition. We are out of kilter in the UK too many non wealth creators (we need administration - but!) on high salaries with perks and pension whilst the front line is cut - a burden on business trying to make a shilling.
A thousand and one jobs carried out daily by low paid, unseen and unsung public sector workers. To those saying get rid, fine. the private sector will have to do them - some seem to think the private sector exists in isolation from the public sector - not true one cannot exist without the other. Confession time - I was one of those who believed in privatization and in a few cases it has had a measure of success - mostly it has cost the taxpayer a fortune - the free market - really? how much of that free market survives on good old socialist principles with the state supporting profits by default. Take away the subsidies and see what happens - maybe it will kill off inefficiency that we pay for in the private sector and encourage real competition. We are out of kilter in the UK too many non wealth creators (we need administration - but!) on high salaries with perks and pension whilst the front line is cut - a burden on business trying to make a shilling. skeptik
  • Score: 6

8:38am Sun 13 Jul 14

mr.southampton says...

steekeemcglue wrote:
smaller public sector is what is needed anyway... too many busy people do not care about lazy strikers... this country has been plagued for decades by Union puppet masters... the smaller the public sector the better....
So how would you feel when you need to go to hospital and no one is there?

Will you be calling for a smaller public sector then?

Or how about the railways, is that an example of the private sector outperforming the public sector?
[quote][p][bold]steekeemcglue[/bold] wrote: smaller public sector is what is needed anyway... too many busy people do not care about lazy strikers... this country has been plagued for decades by Union puppet masters... the smaller the public sector the better....[/p][/quote]So how would you feel when you need to go to hospital and no one is there? Will you be calling for a smaller public sector then? Or how about the railways, is that an example of the private sector outperforming the public sector? mr.southampton
  • Score: 7

8:46am Sun 13 Jul 14

mr.southampton says...

I love the way in these comments people always claim that public sector workers have it easier than the private sector as if every private sector worker is forced to don a hair shirt on entering the workplace.
I love the way in these comments people always claim that public sector workers have it easier than the private sector as if every private sector worker is forced to don a hair shirt on entering the workplace. mr.southampton
  • Score: 10

8:48am Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

allstar wrote:
Duncan Smith wrote:
Roll on the 2015 General Election when the Conservative led coalition wil be booted out.
It has nothing to do what ever government is in power.
I have a close relation who works as a manager for the council and believe me his salary for what he does is outrageous .
He was only boasting the other night about all the free events such as going to London staying at top hotels and of course lots of free drinks all at the tax payers expense .
He and his kind really make me sick and it them that should be sacked and leave the frontline services and critical people alone.
But we all know it will never happen because the managers have their snouts in the trough and it will be the real people without a voice who will suffer.
It had Everything to do with central government.

Central Government has slashed the grants given to local councils, and on top of that they have limited the amount by which local councils can raise council tax.

What we are now experiencing, the loss of jobs and services is a direct result of the action taken by the government.

What I find incredible is the fact that the government blame everyone else for the job losses and cuts in services, but boast that they have limited the rise in council tax.

With regard your claim that you have 'a close relation who works as a manager for the council, who boasts about all his perks. What pity you did not 'name and shame' him.

You claim that persons like him should be sacked, but know it will never happen because they have their snouts in the trough, and it will be the real people without a voice who will suffer.

YOU HAVE THAT VOICE.

GET IS SNOUT OUT OF THE TROUGH.

The money saved may keep a lesser paid worker in employment.

l
[quote][p][bold]allstar[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Duncan Smith[/bold] wrote: Roll on the 2015 General Election when the Conservative led coalition wil be booted out.[/p][/quote]It has nothing to do what ever government is in power. I have a close relation who works as a manager for the council and believe me his salary for what he does is outrageous . He was only boasting the other night about all the free events such as going to London staying at top hotels and of course lots of free drinks all at the tax payers expense . He and his kind really make me sick and it them that should be sacked and leave the frontline services and critical people alone. But we all know it will never happen because the managers have their snouts in the trough and it will be the real people without a voice who will suffer.[/p][/quote]It had Everything to do with central government. Central Government has slashed the grants given to local councils, and on top of that they have limited the amount by which local councils can raise council tax. What we are now experiencing, the loss of jobs and services is a direct result of the action taken by the government. What I find incredible is the fact that the government blame everyone else for the job losses and cuts in services, but boast that they have limited the rise in council tax. With regard your claim that you have 'a close relation who works as a manager for the council, who boasts about all his perks. What pity you did not 'name and shame' him. You claim that persons like him should be sacked, but know it will never happen because they have their snouts in the trough, and it will be the real people without a voice who will suffer. YOU HAVE THAT VOICE. GET IS SNOUT OUT OF THE TROUGH. The money saved may keep a lesser paid worker in employment. l Linesman
  • Score: 2

9:05am Sun 13 Jul 14

Solent Soul says...

skeptik wrote:
A thousand and one jobs carried out daily by low paid, unseen and unsung public sector workers. To those saying get rid, fine. the private sector will have to do them - some seem to think the private sector exists in isolation from the public sector - not true one cannot exist without the other. Confession time - I was one of those who believed in privatization and in a few cases it has had a measure of success - mostly it has cost the taxpayer a fortune - the free market - really? how much of that free market survives on good old socialist principles with the state supporting profits by default. Take away the subsidies and see what happens - maybe it will kill off inefficiency that we pay for in the private sector and encourage real competition. We are out of kilter in the UK too many non wealth creators (we need administration - but!) on high salaries with perks and pension whilst the front line is cut - a burden on business trying to make a shilling.
Well said! The public sector is not perfect by a long shot, but they have to work to a set budget to provide the best service it can for the money; Once this becomes a private sector job all they are worried about is profit, providing the bare minimum for the least outlay thus maximising the wad of cash in their back pockets. For the workforce these will mean lower wages, worse working standards & unhappy personnel. We should be shouting from the roof tops to keep our public sector, we pay for it & it's a great service, don't get suckered into the government hype on austerity, I don't see them making many sacrifices at Westminster..
[quote][p][bold]skeptik[/bold] wrote: A thousand and one jobs carried out daily by low paid, unseen and unsung public sector workers. To those saying get rid, fine. the private sector will have to do them - some seem to think the private sector exists in isolation from the public sector - not true one cannot exist without the other. Confession time - I was one of those who believed in privatization and in a few cases it has had a measure of success - mostly it has cost the taxpayer a fortune - the free market - really? how much of that free market survives on good old socialist principles with the state supporting profits by default. Take away the subsidies and see what happens - maybe it will kill off inefficiency that we pay for in the private sector and encourage real competition. We are out of kilter in the UK too many non wealth creators (we need administration - but!) on high salaries with perks and pension whilst the front line is cut - a burden on business trying to make a shilling.[/p][/quote]Well said! The public sector is not perfect by a long shot, but they have to work to a set budget to provide the best service it can for the money; Once this becomes a private sector job all they are worried about is profit, providing the bare minimum for the least outlay thus maximising the wad of cash in their back pockets. For the workforce these will mean lower wages, worse working standards & unhappy personnel. We should be shouting from the roof tops to keep our public sector, we pay for it & it's a great service, don't get suckered into the government hype on austerity, I don't see them making many sacrifices at Westminster.. Solent Soul
  • Score: 4

10:13am Sun 13 Jul 14

thesouth says...

mickey01 wrote:
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!!
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live[/p][/quote]Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!! thesouth
  • Score: 10

10:19am Sun 13 Jul 14

skeptik says...

Complexity is the real non job creator - we have a list of political interference (they call it representation) from parish councils through to the lords (800 and recruiting). We have government departments suggesting they have saved billions - truth is other departments pick up the bill - but hey it looks good. When complexity reduces efficiency we open a new department to sort it with another level of complexity. The forces say - look at the problem and make a plan to achieve the aim with the people and resources available - hand this to politicians and after much talk and meetings instead of planning to achieve the aim - they will after much time and cost aim to achieve a plan.
Complexity is the real non job creator - we have a list of political interference (they call it representation) from parish councils through to the lords (800 and recruiting). We have government departments suggesting they have saved billions - truth is other departments pick up the bill - but hey it looks good. When complexity reduces efficiency we open a new department to sort it with another level of complexity. The forces say - look at the problem and make a plan to achieve the aim with the people and resources available - hand this to politicians and after much talk and meetings instead of planning to achieve the aim - they will after much time and cost aim to achieve a plan. skeptik
  • Score: 3

11:16am Sun 13 Jul 14

Torchie1 says...

thesouth wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!!
If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment.
[quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live[/p][/quote]Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!![/p][/quote]If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment. Torchie1
  • Score: 4

11:43am Sun 13 Jul 14

IronLady2010 says...

Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire.

Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?
Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire. Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE? IronLady2010
  • Score: 0

12:01pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

Hampshire County Council is a Tory-run council, and has been a Tory-run council for decades, so they cannot blame a previous Labour-run County Council for this financial deficit.

Whether it be Tory, Lib Dem, Labour or even, heaven forbid, a UKIP Council, the fact is that the problem has its beginnings at Westminster, and the 'plebs' are paying the price with loss of their jobs, or their spending power being reduced by having a cap on their pay.

How they must wish they were bankers and had multi-million pound bonuses.

Just a thought.

Who said, "We are all in this together"?

Has he had a pay rise?

One sure thing, he has not been relying on a visit to the food bank!
Hampshire County Council is a Tory-run council, and has been a Tory-run council for decades, so they cannot blame a previous Labour-run County Council for this financial deficit. Whether it be Tory, Lib Dem, Labour or even, heaven forbid, a UKIP Council, the fact is that the problem has its beginnings at Westminster, and the 'plebs' are paying the price with loss of their jobs, or their spending power being reduced by having a cap on their pay. How they must wish they were bankers and had multi-million pound bonuses. Just a thought. Who said, "We are all in this together"? Has he had a pay rise? One sure thing, he has not been relying on a visit to the food bank! Linesman
  • Score: 2

12:17pm Sun 13 Jul 14

IronLady2010 says...

Linesman wrote:
Hampshire County Council is a Tory-run council, and has been a Tory-run council for decades, so they cannot blame a previous Labour-run County Council for this financial deficit.

Whether it be Tory, Lib Dem, Labour or even, heaven forbid, a UKIP Council, the fact is that the problem has its beginnings at Westminster, and the 'plebs' are paying the price with loss of their jobs, or their spending power being reduced by having a cap on their pay.

How they must wish they were bankers and had multi-million pound bonuses.

Just a thought.

Who said, "We are all in this together"?

Has he had a pay rise?

One sure thing, he has not been relying on a visit to the food bank!
I can't disagree with that!
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Hampshire County Council is a Tory-run council, and has been a Tory-run council for decades, so they cannot blame a previous Labour-run County Council for this financial deficit. Whether it be Tory, Lib Dem, Labour or even, heaven forbid, a UKIP Council, the fact is that the problem has its beginnings at Westminster, and the 'plebs' are paying the price with loss of their jobs, or their spending power being reduced by having a cap on their pay. How they must wish they were bankers and had multi-million pound bonuses. Just a thought. Who said, "We are all in this together"? Has he had a pay rise? One sure thing, he has not been relying on a visit to the food bank![/p][/quote]I can't disagree with that! IronLady2010
  • Score: 1

12:22pm Sun 13 Jul 14

IronLady2010 says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Hampshire County Council is a Tory-run council, and has been a Tory-run council for decades, so they cannot blame a previous Labour-run County Council for this financial deficit.

Whether it be Tory, Lib Dem, Labour or even, heaven forbid, a UKIP Council, the fact is that the problem has its beginnings at Westminster, and the 'plebs' are paying the price with loss of their jobs, or their spending power being reduced by having a cap on their pay.

How they must wish they were bankers and had multi-million pound bonuses.

Just a thought.

Who said, "We are all in this together"?

Has he had a pay rise?

One sure thing, he has not been relying on a visit to the food bank!
I can't disagree with that!
I firmly believe the cuts need to start at the top as in Westminster then they can filter down.

Allow me to give an example, many retail outlets used to employ cleaners, they now ask the working staff to do the cleaning.

Why can't the greedy MP's whilst they are claiming travelling expenses to Westminster be asked just to stay behind and do a spot of cleaning.

The problem is Westminster lives in a different world to us working class people.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: Hampshire County Council is a Tory-run council, and has been a Tory-run council for decades, so they cannot blame a previous Labour-run County Council for this financial deficit. Whether it be Tory, Lib Dem, Labour or even, heaven forbid, a UKIP Council, the fact is that the problem has its beginnings at Westminster, and the 'plebs' are paying the price with loss of their jobs, or their spending power being reduced by having a cap on their pay. How they must wish they were bankers and had multi-million pound bonuses. Just a thought. Who said, "We are all in this together"? Has he had a pay rise? One sure thing, he has not been relying on a visit to the food bank![/p][/quote]I can't disagree with that![/p][/quote]I firmly believe the cuts need to start at the top as in Westminster then they can filter down. Allow me to give an example, many retail outlets used to employ cleaners, they now ask the working staff to do the cleaning. Why can't the greedy MP's whilst they are claiming travelling expenses to Westminster be asked just to stay behind and do a spot of cleaning. The problem is Westminster lives in a different world to us working class people. IronLady2010
  • Score: 3

12:29pm Sun 13 Jul 14

IronLady2010 says...

oh and don't even start me on MP's getting a pay rise when they are the ones that should be getting a pay cut! They fiddle enough expenses without paying them more money for the privilege.
oh and don't even start me on MP's getting a pay rise when they are the ones that should be getting a pay cut! They fiddle enough expenses without paying them more money for the privilege. IronLady2010
  • Score: 3

3:19pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

Torchie1 wrote:
thesouth wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!!
If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment.
"Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the "overworked council worker misses" the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily?"

I think that you only have to look at the results of the last Southampton City Council election to find an answer to that question. The electorate were extremely irritated, and they knew exactly where to 'pin the blame,'

With some of the recent stories of neglect, bullying and abuse that have recently been reported, I seem to recall that the vast majority happened in 'Care Homes' that were run for profit in the private sector. Those in the Public sector are constantly monitored, and if complaints are made, they are investigated. In many cases, where this happens in the private sector, the 'Care Homes' either 'Go Bust' and open under a new name, or close before claims can be bade.

That, in my opinion. is an example of where the private sector can, and do 'wriggle out' of similar mistakes.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live[/p][/quote]Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!![/p][/quote]If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment.[/p][/quote]"Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the "overworked council worker misses" the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily?" I think that you only have to look at the results of the last Southampton City Council election to find an answer to that question. The electorate were extremely irritated, and they knew exactly where to 'pin the blame,' With some of the recent stories of neglect, bullying and abuse that have recently been reported, I seem to recall that the vast majority happened in 'Care Homes' that were run for profit in the private sector. Those in the Public sector are constantly monitored, and if complaints are made, they are investigated. In many cases, where this happens in the private sector, the 'Care Homes' either 'Go Bust' and open under a new name, or close before claims can be bade. That, in my opinion. is an example of where the private sector can, and do 'wriggle out' of similar mistakes. Linesman
  • Score: -1

3:28pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

mickey01 wrote:
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Whose fault is it that you have a job with no pension, no union and no wage rise for 4 years?

What steps have you taken to improve your situation?

Have you taken advantage of further education classes to give you qualifications so that you can get a better job?

Maybe you are just one of those people who thinks that the world owes you everything, and that it should be delivered to your doorstep.

That is not how the real world live.

In most cases, you get out what you put in.
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live[/p][/quote]Whose fault is it that you have a job with no pension, no union and no wage rise for 4 years? What steps have you taken to improve your situation? Have you taken advantage of further education classes to give you qualifications so that you can get a better job? Maybe you are just one of those people who thinks that the world owes you everything, and that it should be delivered to your doorstep. That is not how the real world live. In most cases, you get out what you put in. Linesman
  • Score: 2

3:28pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

mickey01 wrote:
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Whose fault is it that you have a job with no pension, no union and no wage rise for 4 years?

What steps have you taken to improve your situation?

Have you taken advantage of further education classes to give you qualifications so that you can get a better job?

Maybe you are just one of those people who thinks that the world owes you everything, and that it should be delivered to your doorstep.

That is not how the real world live.

In most cases, you get out what you put in.
[quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live[/p][/quote]Whose fault is it that you have a job with no pension, no union and no wage rise for 4 years? What steps have you taken to improve your situation? Have you taken advantage of further education classes to give you qualifications so that you can get a better job? Maybe you are just one of those people who thinks that the world owes you everything, and that it should be delivered to your doorstep. That is not how the real world live. In most cases, you get out what you put in. Linesman
  • Score: 1

3:35pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire.

Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?
A strike is invariably The Last Resort.

In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay.

I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action.

Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours?

That is what is happening in many cases.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire. Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?[/p][/quote]A strike is invariably The Last Resort. In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay. I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action. Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours? That is what is happening in many cases. Linesman
  • Score: -1

3:45pm Sun 13 Jul 14

IronLady2010 says...

Linesman wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire.

Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?
A strike is invariably The Last Resort.

In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay.

I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action.

Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours?

That is what is happening in many cases.
I'm going to assume one thing. So please correct me if I'm wrong.

Most Public sector workers are on higher than minimum wage, would that be a fair guess?

Street cleaners, bin men, office cleaners are on more than minimum wage, is that a fair guess?

So I ask myself, if these people are above minimum wage how do they scream poverty, which to be fair the Unions have suggested.

Is it because, perhaps they have taken out a Mortgage they can't afford or taken a Bank Loan which they can't afford?
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire. Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?[/p][/quote]A strike is invariably The Last Resort. In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay. I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action. Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours? That is what is happening in many cases.[/p][/quote]I'm going to assume one thing. So please correct me if I'm wrong. Most Public sector workers are on higher than minimum wage, would that be a fair guess? Street cleaners, bin men, office cleaners are on more than minimum wage, is that a fair guess? So I ask myself, if these people are above minimum wage how do they scream poverty, which to be fair the Unions have suggested. Is it because, perhaps they have taken out a Mortgage they can't afford or taken a Bank Loan which they can't afford? IronLady2010
  • Score: 1

4:08pm Sun 13 Jul 14

IronLady2010 says...

Linesman wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire.

Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?
A strike is invariably The Last Resort.

In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay.

I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action.

Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours?

That is what is happening in many cases.
'I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action.'

I have never allowed myself to get into that situation.

I've Managed pubs and Retail outlets in my past, but I strive for something better. I now have a business which employs happy people, it doesn't make a huge profit, but it tides me over.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire. Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?[/p][/quote]A strike is invariably The Last Resort. In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay. I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action. Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours? That is what is happening in many cases.[/p][/quote]'I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action.' I have never allowed myself to get into that situation. I've Managed pubs and Retail outlets in my past, but I strive for something better. I now have a business which employs happy people, it doesn't make a huge profit, but it tides me over. IronLady2010
  • Score: 4

4:37pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Torchie1 says...

Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
thesouth wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!!
If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment.
"Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the "overworked council worker misses" the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily?"

I think that you only have to look at the results of the last Southampton City Council election to find an answer to that question. The electorate were extremely irritated, and they knew exactly where to 'pin the blame,'

With some of the recent stories of neglect, bullying and abuse that have recently been reported, I seem to recall that the vast majority happened in 'Care Homes' that were run for profit in the private sector. Those in the Public sector are constantly monitored, and if complaints are made, they are investigated. In many cases, where this happens in the private sector, the 'Care Homes' either 'Go Bust' and open under a new name, or close before claims can be bade.

That, in my opinion. is an example of where the private sector can, and do 'wriggle out' of similar mistakes.
Clearly the private sector are total beginners when measured against the Council at Haringey where children's deaths due to local authority incompetence cost the taxpayer millions of pounds as the council declared war on anyone who tried to uncover what had happened. Instead of admitting shortcomings the council dragged in the government which was forced to act as no-one would take the blame. Search Victria Climblie, Baby 'P', Haringey Council, Sharon Shoesmith etc etc etc. Ed Balls even failed to correctly sack the head of children's services who retaliated by taking Balls to court for unfair dismissal and walking out with a six figure compensation package. Local authority work has always been the soft option for those who can't face too much scrutiny.
[quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live[/p][/quote]Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!![/p][/quote]If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment.[/p][/quote]"Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the "overworked council worker misses" the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily?" I think that you only have to look at the results of the last Southampton City Council election to find an answer to that question. The electorate were extremely irritated, and they knew exactly where to 'pin the blame,' With some of the recent stories of neglect, bullying and abuse that have recently been reported, I seem to recall that the vast majority happened in 'Care Homes' that were run for profit in the private sector. Those in the Public sector are constantly monitored, and if complaints are made, they are investigated. In many cases, where this happens in the private sector, the 'Care Homes' either 'Go Bust' and open under a new name, or close before claims can be bade. That, in my opinion. is an example of where the private sector can, and do 'wriggle out' of similar mistakes.[/p][/quote]Clearly the private sector are total beginners when measured against the Council at Haringey where children's deaths due to local authority incompetence cost the taxpayer millions of pounds as the council declared war on anyone who tried to uncover what had happened. Instead of admitting shortcomings the council dragged in the government which was forced to act as no-one would take the blame. Search Victria Climblie, Baby 'P', Haringey Council, Sharon Shoesmith etc etc etc. Ed Balls even failed to correctly sack the head of children's services who retaliated by taking Balls to court for unfair dismissal and walking out with a six figure compensation package. Local authority work has always been the soft option for those who can't face too much scrutiny. Torchie1
  • Score: 1

7:56pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

Torchie1 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
Torchie1 wrote:
thesouth wrote:
mickey01 wrote:
Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live
Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!!
If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment.
"Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the "overworked council worker misses" the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily?"

I think that you only have to look at the results of the last Southampton City Council election to find an answer to that question. The electorate were extremely irritated, and they knew exactly where to 'pin the blame,'

With some of the recent stories of neglect, bullying and abuse that have recently been reported, I seem to recall that the vast majority happened in 'Care Homes' that were run for profit in the private sector. Those in the Public sector are constantly monitored, and if complaints are made, they are investigated. In many cases, where this happens in the private sector, the 'Care Homes' either 'Go Bust' and open under a new name, or close before claims can be bade.

That, in my opinion. is an example of where the private sector can, and do 'wriggle out' of similar mistakes.
Clearly the private sector are total beginners when measured against the Council at Haringey where children's deaths due to local authority incompetence cost the taxpayer millions of pounds as the council declared war on anyone who tried to uncover what had happened. Instead of admitting shortcomings the council dragged in the government which was forced to act as no-one would take the blame. Search Victria Climblie, Baby 'P', Haringey Council, Sharon Shoesmith etc etc etc. Ed Balls even failed to correctly sack the head of children's services who retaliated by taking Balls to court for unfair dismissal and walking out with a six figure compensation package. Local authority work has always been the soft option for those who can't face too much scrutiny.
They were tragic cases, but the situation is not going to improve with more cuts in funding.

When corners are cut in an effort to reduce costs, it results in reduced efficiency and more incidents such as those you have highlighted.

Social workers are under-paid and over-worked. Over-worked because of combination of reasons.
Poor wages,
Over-worked.
Because of the poor wages, they cannot recruit the best, and most suitable people to do the job, and this results in staff having to do longer hours. Councils play on their desire to do a good job.
The effect of this is that they cannot devote the time to those most in need, because there are so many that need their help
If anyone 'falls through the net', then the overworked care worker finds themselves in court on a charge of negligence.

In the Private sector nursing homes, where Profit comes before Patients, there have been considerably more problems of neglect, bullying and abuse than in the Public sector - and the victims are having to pay for their poor treatment, or we, the tax-payers are, as we pay for some, so boosting the profits of the care home owners.

Claiming that Local Authority work has always been the soft option for those who can't face too much scrutiny, just shows how much, or perhaps I should say, how little you know about it.
[quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Torchie1[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]thesouth[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]mickey01[/bold] wrote: Great !! please start with the strikers first and let them find a job like mine without a pension no union no wage rise for 4 years and see how the real world live[/p][/quote]Public sector workers are renouned for being paid less and working longer hours. They too have had no pay rise and in a lot of cases, pay reductions, however the output expectations from them go up! Private sector jobs are also less detrimental when something goes wrong; If an underpaid, over worked council worker misses the signs of neglect for one child, vulnerable adult etc. then that person could die and the worker probably sacked etc however in the public sector if asda sales go down for the day because someone missed something, well ohh well!![/p][/quote]If you're starting with 'A' for Asda can I add 'A' for Airline Pilot who may have four hundred people sat behind him/her who would question your classification of 'less detrimental'. Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the " over worked council worker misses " the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily? There seems to be a regular stream of articles about 'over worked council worker' missing the signs that result in a death but very few that result in a meaningful prosecution because of the lack of accountability and heavy unionisation of the public sector which makes it all but impossible to blame anyone for a mistake. I would suggest that very few in the private sector could wriggle out of similar mistakes and such offenders would quickly find themselves looking elsewhere for employment.[/p][/quote]"Would anyone be more than mildly irritated if the "overworked council worker misses" the bins, doesn't clean up the local park or sweeps the streets sloppily?" I think that you only have to look at the results of the last Southampton City Council election to find an answer to that question. The electorate were extremely irritated, and they knew exactly where to 'pin the blame,' With some of the recent stories of neglect, bullying and abuse that have recently been reported, I seem to recall that the vast majority happened in 'Care Homes' that were run for profit in the private sector. Those in the Public sector are constantly monitored, and if complaints are made, they are investigated. In many cases, where this happens in the private sector, the 'Care Homes' either 'Go Bust' and open under a new name, or close before claims can be bade. That, in my opinion. is an example of where the private sector can, and do 'wriggle out' of similar mistakes.[/p][/quote]Clearly the private sector are total beginners when measured against the Council at Haringey where children's deaths due to local authority incompetence cost the taxpayer millions of pounds as the council declared war on anyone who tried to uncover what had happened. Instead of admitting shortcomings the council dragged in the government which was forced to act as no-one would take the blame. Search Victria Climblie, Baby 'P', Haringey Council, Sharon Shoesmith etc etc etc. Ed Balls even failed to correctly sack the head of children's services who retaliated by taking Balls to court for unfair dismissal and walking out with a six figure compensation package. Local authority work has always been the soft option for those who can't face too much scrutiny.[/p][/quote]They were tragic cases, but the situation is not going to improve with more cuts in funding. When corners are cut in an effort to reduce costs, it results in reduced efficiency and more incidents such as those you have highlighted. Social workers are under-paid and over-worked. Over-worked because of combination of reasons. Poor wages, Over-worked. Because of the poor wages, they cannot recruit the best, and most suitable people to do the job, and this results in staff having to do longer hours. Councils play on their desire to do a good job. The effect of this is that they cannot devote the time to those most in need, because there are so many that need their help If anyone 'falls through the net', then the overworked care worker finds themselves in court on a charge of negligence. In the Private sector nursing homes, where Profit comes before Patients, there have been considerably more problems of neglect, bullying and abuse than in the Public sector - and the victims are having to pay for their poor treatment, or we, the tax-payers are, as we pay for some, so boosting the profits of the care home owners. Claiming that Local Authority work has always been the soft option for those who can't face too much scrutiny, just shows how much, or perhaps I should say, how little you know about it. Linesman
  • Score: 1

8:06pm Sun 13 Jul 14

Linesman says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
Linesman wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire.

Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?
A strike is invariably The Last Resort.

In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay.

I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action.

Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours?

That is what is happening in many cases.
I'm going to assume one thing. So please correct me if I'm wrong.

Most Public sector workers are on higher than minimum wage, would that be a fair guess?

Street cleaners, bin men, office cleaners are on more than minimum wage, is that a fair guess?

So I ask myself, if these people are above minimum wage how do they scream poverty, which to be fair the Unions have suggested.

Is it because, perhaps they have taken out a Mortgage they can't afford or taken a Bank Loan which they can't afford?
Of course. If they were not, they would be able to take their employers to court.

I have no idea of the hourly rate that any of those that you mention, but as you make the claim, I assume that you do.

If, for example, you were the sole earner in a family of four, and were being paid just over the minimum wage, with rent, rates, food, clothing etc to pay for. How long do you think you would last without a visit to the food bank?

How long before you were thinking that, with no sign of the situation improving, you considered taking strike action alongside your colleagues who were in a similar situation?

So very easy to criticise, but as the saying goes, 'Walk a mile in my shoes' and then maybe you would realise that everything is not smelling of roses for everyone.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]Linesman[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: Andy Straker, Unison regional organiser, said: “You saw it happen in Southampton last week and now in Hampshire. Maybe Andy could put some suggestions on the table as an alternative rather than just shout STRIKE?[/p][/quote]A strike is invariably The Last Resort. In these hard-pressed times, where wage restraint has meant that wages have not kept pace with inflation, meaning that there has been an actual drop in the standard of living for many, a person has to be pretty desperate to even consider strike action with the consequential loss of pay. I can only image that you have never been in such dire straits financially, that you have considered strike action. Could it possibly be that you are an employer who is using the Government's austerity measures as an excuse for not giving a pay-rise to your workers, but enjoying an increase in profits, thanks to their labours? That is what is happening in many cases.[/p][/quote]I'm going to assume one thing. So please correct me if I'm wrong. Most Public sector workers are on higher than minimum wage, would that be a fair guess? Street cleaners, bin men, office cleaners are on more than minimum wage, is that a fair guess? So I ask myself, if these people are above minimum wage how do they scream poverty, which to be fair the Unions have suggested. Is it because, perhaps they have taken out a Mortgage they can't afford or taken a Bank Loan which they can't afford?[/p][/quote]Of course. If they were not, they would be able to take their employers to court. I have no idea of the hourly rate that any of those that you mention, but as you make the claim, I assume that you do. If, for example, you were the sole earner in a family of four, and were being paid just over the minimum wage, with rent, rates, food, clothing etc to pay for. How long do you think you would last without a visit to the food bank? How long before you were thinking that, with no sign of the situation improving, you considered taking strike action alongside your colleagues who were in a similar situation? So very easy to criticise, but as the saying goes, 'Walk a mile in my shoes' and then maybe you would realise that everything is not smelling of roses for everyone. Linesman
  • Score: 2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree