Police now armed with European arrest warrant for parents of seriously ill Ashya King

Arrest warrant issued for parents of Ashya King

Arrest warrant issued for parents of Ashya King

First published in News
Last updated
Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Deputy News Editor

POLICE chiefs in Hampshire have this afternoon obtained a European arrest warrant for the parents of desperately ill Ashya King.

Assistant Chief Constable Chris Shead said the warrant was obtained on the grounds of neglect but using it would be a last resort.

He said officers "would much prefer for them to come forward voluntarily" as he described how the force was working closely with Spanish police to find the little boy who has now been away from medical teams for more than 48 hours.

He said: "'I can confirm we have obtained a European arrest warrant. What that will do is, when we find Ashya and his family, it will allow us to talk to his parents about what happened.

''Clearly we need to find out what their motive is in taking Ashya.''
 
Mr Shead said the European arrest warrant was based around ''neglect'' but added: ''That does not necessarily mean they would be charged with that offence.
 
''It purely gives us the power to arrest and then we'll be able to speak to them.''

 

 

Meanwhile Hampshire police's major investigation team believes Ashya's family may have taken steps to be able to feed him.

Assistant chief constable Shead said: "Health experts tell us with the proper medical care Ashya has a good chance of survival, but he must get that professional care.

"The feeding system that Ashya needs and the other associated medical care is complex, and I would appeal to Ashya's family not to think that they are able to administer this care themselves.

"The doctors assure me that proper medical training is required for the level of care that Ashya needs.

"I would also appeal to the medical profession, particularly in Spain, to contact the Spanish authorities if they feel that Ashya's family have presented or made enquiries at medical facilities.

"Please continue to visit the Hampshire police website or Hampshire Constabulary Facebook page and share the appeal and the photos of Ashya, his mum Naghmeh and dad Brett, and the car that they were travelling in when they left Cherbourg.

"We continue to appeal directly to people living in and around Marbella, where we still have reason to believe the family may be heading.

"If you see the vehicle, or if you think you may have seen Brett, Naghmeh, Ashya and the six other children, please call us now on +441962 841534 or dial the European emergency number on 112 as soon as possible."

It comes after police in Spain were seeking the permission the permission of a judge to widen the desperate search to find little Ashya King.

Officers in the Marbella area were due to attend court so they could be sanctioned to mobilise more resources to find the five-year-old boy who is seriously ill following surgery to remove a large brain tumour.

It is understood police cars have been seen outside a property in Marbella.

The youngster is feared to have been without any form of medical help for 48 hours, since his father Brett King, 51, wheeled him out of Southampton General Hospital at 2pm on Thursday.

Within two hours they, along with Ashya’s mum Naghmeh and his six siblings, had boarded a Brittany Ferries sailing to Cherbourg in France.

Leading the cross Europe search to find Ashya before it is too late, Assistant Chief Constable Chris Shead told the Daily Echo this afternoon that there had been “strong leads” suggesting the family could be in Marbella.

It is also believed they have a holiday home there.

However, he warned that it was vital the search remained as wide and high profile as possible – fearing that the family may have left the area because they want to avoid being found.

He said: “Sightings point to them heading in that direction but we cannot afford to take the risk that they know they have been seen and have therefore turned around and gone somewhere else.

“We cannot ignore other possibilities.

“The police out there are going to a presiding judge in Spain which will allow them to mobilise more resources and extend and coordinate further activity out there, across a bigger area.”

Ast Chf Cons Shead said hospitals right across Europe were today also being contacted and put on alert. Police are also trying to ascertain if Ashya has already been taken to one of them for treatment as his health deteriorates.

He added: “It’s not beyond possibility that Ashya’s parents have heard or read our appeal and have taken him to a hospital somewhere.

“He could even have been admitted under a different name.

“While there is nothing to suggest any of this has happened at the moment, we cannot rule out the fact it might have.

ASt Chf Cons Shead also appealed to British expats living in Marbella as well as holidaymakers in the area to be vigilant and help lead police to Ashya so he can receive the urgent medical help he needs.

In particular he pleaded for people to keep lookout for the family’s van, a grey Hyundai I800 Style CRDI with the reg plate KP60 HWK.

CLICK THESE LINKS FOR MORE COVERAGE ON THE SEARCH FOR ASHYA KING

 

Comments (17)

Please log in to enable comment sorting

6:06pm Sat 30 Aug 14

sotonboy84 says...

The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable!

The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.
The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable! The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting. sotonboy84
  • Score: 13

6:14pm Sat 30 Aug 14

Rachie says...

sotonboy84 wrote:
The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable!

The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.
Absolutely agree with you!

I don't know how I'd react in truth if one of my children were terminally ill. I like to think I'd push every avenue, but how can anyone make that call without experiencing it themselves?

An arrest warrant for being parents. It's painful watching this play out.
[quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable! The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree with you! I don't know how I'd react in truth if one of my children were terminally ill. I like to think I'd push every avenue, but how can anyone make that call without experiencing it themselves? An arrest warrant for being parents. It's painful watching this play out. Rachie
  • Score: 4

6:18pm Sat 30 Aug 14

IronLady2010 says...

sotonboy84 wrote:
The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable!

The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.
We've had this discussion before and I accept your point.

Maybe the issue is you cannot in this Country, simply allow someone to die if you are able to save a life.

The parents know this child will die without treatment, so are causing death by neglect?
[quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable! The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.[/p][/quote]We've had this discussion before and I accept your point. Maybe the issue is you cannot in this Country, simply allow someone to die if you are able to save a life. The parents know this child will die without treatment, so are causing death by neglect? IronLady2010
  • Score: 2

6:37pm Sat 30 Aug 14

Rachie says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
sotonboy84 wrote:
The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable!

The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.
We've had this discussion before and I accept your point.

Maybe the issue is you cannot in this Country, simply allow someone to die if you are able to save a life.

The parents know this child will die without treatment, so are causing death by neglect?
His tumour is 'causing' his death.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable! The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.[/p][/quote]We've had this discussion before and I accept your point. Maybe the issue is you cannot in this Country, simply allow someone to die if you are able to save a life. The parents know this child will die without treatment, so are causing death by neglect?[/p][/quote]His tumour is 'causing' his death. Rachie
  • Score: 8

6:41pm Sat 30 Aug 14

jazzi says...

The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!!
Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today.
The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!! Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today. jazzi
  • Score: 4

6:54pm Sat 30 Aug 14

eurogordi says...

The parents are NOT criminals and there should NOT be an arrest warrant issued. I find the action taken by the police EXTREMELY worrying. Since when did we live in a police state?
The parents are NOT criminals and there should NOT be an arrest warrant issued. I find the action taken by the police EXTREMELY worrying. Since when did we live in a police state? eurogordi
  • Score: 11

6:59pm Sat 30 Aug 14

Kirsty666 says...

Ok why don't Hampshire police do some real work for a change rather than something that isn't nessicary. I hope he is safe and getting medical care somewhere though x
Ok why don't Hampshire police do some real work for a change rather than something that isn't nessicary. I hope he is safe and getting medical care somewhere though x Kirsty666
  • Score: 1

7:05pm Sat 30 Aug 14

IronLady2010 says...

jazzi wrote:
The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!!
Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today.
If, as you suggest they have taken him abroad for treatment, why are the Police searching for him?
[quote][p][bold]jazzi[/bold] wrote: The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!! Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today.[/p][/quote]If, as you suggest they have taken him abroad for treatment, why are the Police searching for him? IronLady2010
  • Score: 5

8:52pm Sat 30 Aug 14

solomum says...

IronLady2010 wrote:
jazzi wrote:
The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!!
Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today.
If, as you suggest they have taken him abroad for treatment, why are the Police searching for him?
I guess Jazzi knows the family, so perhaps they can help the police. It clearly says in the article that the warrant has been issued under the umbrella of Neglect but that DOES NOT mean the parents will be charged with that. If the police did nothing and this young lad was to die, then they would have failed in their duty. My heart tells me that the parents are looking elsewhere for treatment, but without knowing the full facts it is impossible to know. Whatever the situation I pray that this little boy will get the treatment he needs and the family can have a very blessed future.
[quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jazzi[/bold] wrote: The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!! Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today.[/p][/quote]If, as you suggest they have taken him abroad for treatment, why are the Police searching for him?[/p][/quote]I guess Jazzi knows the family, so perhaps they can help the police. It clearly says in the article that the warrant has been issued under the umbrella of Neglect but that DOES NOT mean the parents will be charged with that. If the police did nothing and this young lad was to die, then they would have failed in their duty. My heart tells me that the parents are looking elsewhere for treatment, but without knowing the full facts it is impossible to know. Whatever the situation I pray that this little boy will get the treatment he needs and the family can have a very blessed future. solomum
  • Score: 4

9:09pm Sat 30 Aug 14

bitterne boy says...

Stop speculating on why he was taken from the general and wait till we know some facts!
Stop speculating on why he was taken from the general and wait till we know some facts! bitterne boy
  • Score: 5

9:44pm Sat 30 Aug 14

thesouth says...

eurogordi wrote:
The parents are NOT criminals and there should NOT be an arrest warrant issued. I find the action taken by the police EXTREMELY worrying. Since when did we live in a police state?
Are you judging this whole case in what you read in the paper?? Take a step back and THINK..... Maybe, not all the facts of the case/investigation have been released to the media. So whilst the article can inform you of a situation, it won't be telling you all of it SO CHILL THE F**K OUT !!!
[quote][p][bold]eurogordi[/bold] wrote: The parents are NOT criminals and there should NOT be an arrest warrant issued. I find the action taken by the police EXTREMELY worrying. Since when did we live in a police state?[/p][/quote]Are you judging this whole case in what you read in the paper?? Take a step back and THINK..... Maybe, not all the facts of the case/investigation have been released to the media. So whilst the article can inform you of a situation, it won't be telling you all of it SO CHILL THE F**K OUT !!! thesouth
  • Score: -3

9:49pm Sat 30 Aug 14

excusemoi says...

solomum wrote:
IronLady2010 wrote:
jazzi wrote:
The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!!
Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today.
If, as you suggest they have taken him abroad for treatment, why are the Police searching for him?
I guess Jazzi knows the family, so perhaps they can help the police. It clearly says in the article that the warrant has been issued under the umbrella of Neglect but that DOES NOT mean the parents will be charged with that. If the police did nothing and this young lad was to die, then they would have failed in their duty. My heart tells me that the parents are looking elsewhere for treatment, but without knowing the full facts it is impossible to know. Whatever the situation I pray that this little boy will get the treatment he needs and the family can have a very blessed future.
The police are looking for the little boy as the parents have told no-one of their plans. We do not know what is happening. You just can't take a seriously ill child from hospital without knowing there is better care elsewhere. If this is the case, the parents should have told the doctors. I just hope and pray the parents have nothing sinister in mind. This story is very disturbing to say the least. Please let this lovely little boy be safe.
[quote][p][bold]solomum[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]IronLady2010[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]jazzi[/bold] wrote: The parents have taken him abroad to get him the help he needs as Southampton general said there is nothing more they can do for him !!!! Im disgusted that they are now classed as criminals, PATHETIC and really bloomin cruel. They have got enough stress to deal with, I truly am utterly disgusted in Southampton today.[/p][/quote]If, as you suggest they have taken him abroad for treatment, why are the Police searching for him?[/p][/quote]I guess Jazzi knows the family, so perhaps they can help the police. It clearly says in the article that the warrant has been issued under the umbrella of Neglect but that DOES NOT mean the parents will be charged with that. If the police did nothing and this young lad was to die, then they would have failed in their duty. My heart tells me that the parents are looking elsewhere for treatment, but without knowing the full facts it is impossible to know. Whatever the situation I pray that this little boy will get the treatment he needs and the family can have a very blessed future.[/p][/quote]The police are looking for the little boy as the parents have told no-one of their plans. We do not know what is happening. You just can't take a seriously ill child from hospital without knowing there is better care elsewhere. If this is the case, the parents should have told the doctors. I just hope and pray the parents have nothing sinister in mind. This story is very disturbing to say the least. Please let this lovely little boy be safe. excusemoi
  • Score: -7

10:01pm Sat 30 Aug 14

S Pance says...

People keep referring to this boy as "Terminally ill".

As far as I'm aware no official source has stated that his illness is terminal.
People keep referring to this boy as "Terminally ill". As far as I'm aware no official source has stated that his illness is terminal. S Pance
  • Score: 3

10:06pm Sat 30 Aug 14

kiz.bartlett says...

In situations like this, the care of the child takes liberty over the thoughts of the parents.

Not that i accept the rules of our country, but taking a child this ill out of care is very close indeed to euthanasia.

Legal proceedings will most likely take effect once the parents are detained, mainly for the care of the child. I know this child is very sick, but there is still a possibility he can enjoy life for however long that may be.
In situations like this, the care of the child takes liberty over the thoughts of the parents. Not that i accept the rules of our country, but taking a child this ill out of care is very close indeed to euthanasia. Legal proceedings will most likely take effect once the parents are detained, mainly for the care of the child. I know this child is very sick, but there is still a possibility he can enjoy life for however long that may be. kiz.bartlett
  • Score: -4

10:27pm Sat 30 Aug 14

sotonboy84 says...

Rachie wrote:
sotonboy84 wrote:
The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable!

The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.
Absolutely agree with you!

I don't know how I'd react in truth if one of my children were terminally ill. I like to think I'd push every avenue, but how can anyone make that call without experiencing it themselves?

An arrest warrant for being parents. It's painful watching this play out.
Exactly. I think anybody would try anything to help their child.

We don't know the circumstances here & neither do the hospital, police or media so it's worrying that within 48 hours the parents have been branded criminals, had their mug shots plastered everywhere & had a warrant out for their arrest due to neglect. It feels like the police have no legitimate reason to arrest them so they've made something up.

Absolutely disgusting. I feel for the whole family & the only people that should be investigated should be the hospital & police who are abusing their powers & the media who are abusing the story to sell news.
[quote][p][bold]Rachie[/bold] wrote: [quote][p][bold]sotonboy84[/bold] wrote: The parents are still being treated as criminals then. The hospital don't have a court order to overrule the parents choice at refusal of treatment so issue a warrant to arrest them for neglect instead. Unbelievable! The full facts aren't clear & I wouldn't take an ill child out of hospital but there should be tighter rules in place around media reporting.[/p][/quote]Absolutely agree with you! I don't know how I'd react in truth if one of my children were terminally ill. I like to think I'd push every avenue, but how can anyone make that call without experiencing it themselves? An arrest warrant for being parents. It's painful watching this play out.[/p][/quote]Exactly. I think anybody would try anything to help their child. We don't know the circumstances here & neither do the hospital, police or media so it's worrying that within 48 hours the parents have been branded criminals, had their mug shots plastered everywhere & had a warrant out for their arrest due to neglect. It feels like the police have no legitimate reason to arrest them so they've made something up. Absolutely disgusting. I feel for the whole family & the only people that should be investigated should be the hospital & police who are abusing their powers & the media who are abusing the story to sell news. sotonboy84
  • Score: 12

3:52pm Sun 31 Aug 14

Malvina says...

I feel sick This all country standing on the head, politician and police are completely out of real world His parents choice what where and how to help own children I feel sorry for this family How stressful and dissgusting is to watch police hunting for them- innocent people Once again police abusing their power Now they want to arrest them!!! How now Ashya will feel without mum and dad? Why they are forced to come back to UK and Southampton? All this is crazy and very sad
I feel sick This all country standing on the head, politician and police are completely out of real world His parents choice what where and how to help own children I feel sorry for this family How stressful and dissgusting is to watch police hunting for them- innocent people Once again police abusing their power Now they want to arrest them!!! How now Ashya will feel without mum and dad? Why they are forced to come back to UK and Southampton? All this is crazy and very sad Malvina
  • Score: -4

8:06pm Sun 31 Aug 14

TheLoneBoar says...

So, now you can get arrested for exercising a choice about what treatment you want your child to have - what has this country come to? And what about the tory mantra about 'choice' (which of course never really existed)

It must be terrible for this family, but they have the right to make their own decisions about how to proceed with the care of their ill child - to arrest them is fascist, and has now resulted in the wort scenario of parents and child being separated, how does that help?

Fact is they did not break the law, and the police virtually admit that the arrest warrant is spurious as they say they may not be charged with this offence and clearly its a mechanism to get them back under state control. It is not illegal to have different opinions to doctors and decide to ignore medical advice - the NHS and police are combining in unlawful control of people who have every right to exercise their own decisions.

Finally, I am very sorry for this little boy and his family and I hope the police and stupid medical profession will see sense. Lets also reflect on the fact that huge police, media and public resources and attention have been focused on one child's plight - while he may be deserving of that what about the plight of 1000s of children being killed and injured in Gaza, Syria and Iraq - should not the same effort and resource be applied to each and every one of those?
So, now you can get arrested for exercising a choice about what treatment you want your child to have - what has this country come to? And what about the tory mantra about 'choice' (which of course never really existed) It must be terrible for this family, but they have the right to make their own decisions about how to proceed with the care of their ill child - to arrest them is fascist, and has now resulted in the wort scenario of parents and child being separated, how does that help? Fact is they did not break the law, and the police virtually admit that the arrest warrant is spurious as they say they may not be charged with this offence and clearly its a mechanism to get them back under state control. It is not illegal to have different opinions to doctors and decide to ignore medical advice - the NHS and police are combining in unlawful control of people who have every right to exercise their own decisions. Finally, I am very sorry for this little boy and his family and I hope the police and stupid medical profession will see sense. Lets also reflect on the fact that huge police, media and public resources and attention have been focused on one child's plight - while he may be deserving of that what about the plight of 1000s of children being killed and injured in Gaza, Syria and Iraq - should not the same effort and resource be applied to each and every one of those? TheLoneBoar
  • Score: -2

Comments are closed on this article.

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree