Demolition derby at Stoneham Park

Trojans’ Fraser Moncrieffe breaks the tackle of a Winchester opponent to score

Trojans’ Fraser Moncrieffe breaks the tackle of a Winchester opponent to score

First published in Rugby Daily Echo: Photograph of the Author by , Rugby correspondent and sub-editor

Trojans got the better of derby opponents Winchester at Stoneham Park as they continue to inch their way up the London 2 SW table.

The home side were 21-5 up at half-time and had to fend off a mini-comeback from Winch after the break before going on to win 38-22.

The last 20 minutes of the game were played with uncontested scrums due to front row injuries to Winchester who are now amassing a long list of unfit players.

Trojans went 7-0 up in opening minutes as centre Fraser Moncrieffe crashed over after several phases of play and fullback Emilien Cabale converted.

The Frenchman added another two points to a try of his own before splitting the posts once more after prop Mark Greenhalgh had touched down under the posts following a strong break from Number 8 Alex Williams which was taken on by fly-half Chris Boyd.

Winchester never gave up and made a game of it with the last play of the half – Ollie Rogers finally finding a gap.

After the break Trojans’ wing Ralph Keeble touched down as his side moved the ball quickly across field.

But Winchester, renowned for improved second-half performances, quickly amassed 12 points.

Back row sub Lukas Waddington went over in the corner before wing Matt Burt evaded several tackles, kicked forward and was first to arrive at the bounce to cross the line.

With his score converted by James Falconer Winchester were within nine points of their hosts.

However, Trojans were looking more organised and Chris Hamp managed to get on the end of an unconventional, although fortunate, crossfield kick from Boyd. Cabale added the extas.

The game was put to bed when scrum half Chris Lynch cut through to score.

But Winchester did have the final say – earning themselves a point as Greg Sullivan registered their fourth try.

Trojans’ coach Dean Lewis said: “It was a good game for us until half-time and at 21-5 we were happy with the way we were performing.

“We then had a silly ten minutes where we let them back in to score two tries which brought them back into the game .

“Credit to them because their backs are good.

“But we kept our composure and stuck in a couple of tries.”

He added: “That’s three wins on the bounce now so I’m more than happy.”

Send us your news, pictures and videos

Most read stories

Local Info

Enter your postcode, town or place name

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree